Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Good-byes and changes can be difficult

Oct-Dec 2010

Dear Prayer Partners,

              The last couple of months have been a whirlwind.  After returning from a missions conference  in TN where I was totally refreshed and encouraged I headed back to Mexico to a jam packed schedule.  While I was gone I was scheduled by my team to begin Teacher Training.  I had two weeks to  observe the current Sunday School staff, familiarize myself with  the  ministry, assess the existing children’s ministry and curriculum as well as put together a plan of action. 
              We  began the teacher training with lots of anticipation and excitement and maintained it through the next 8 weeks.  We began with 14 teachers and had 11 that completed the entire course.  It was hectic but fun.  Two weeks ago we finished our last class and what a difference we have seen already in the Children’s ministry.  The ministry had a couple of teachers who had experience but lacked some fundamentals.  
              We implemented a curriculum  that is intended to give  children a foundational knowledge of God’s Word along with including a very clear presentation of God’s plan for their salvation.  Where once stories were told (often without a Bible being opened), now the teachers are excited about the lessons, studying the lessons and delving into God’s Word.  The kids are enjoying the curriculum as well. The children’s ministry is now organized and includes teachers who teach with a purpose.  We’re looking forward to great things from this ministry.
               A little bit off topic but not so much as you’ll see...is that the very most difficult thing about being a missionary is the constant good-byes.  A year ago when I returned from furlough, the couple I’ve worked with for the past 6 years informed me that they were praying about returning to the US, they were experiencing God’s nudging and wanted to be sure before they made any plans.  I felt a little out of breath for a little bit because the idea of not working with them anymore was not one I relished, they weren’t just my team they were/are very dear friends.  We had began a work together and shared in the joys and at times sorrows through the growth process.  We were in awe together as we watched the Lord work in the lives of the people of our church.  If they were going to be leaving what would become of the work we had begun?  There were lots of things to consider and pray about.  
               Over the past year we have done LOTS of praying and depending on the Lord to lead us.  In regards to the congregation, the Lord moved as only he could.  We met a young pastor (Hugo) about 15 min from us that had started a work about 3 years ago, they like us thought we were the only ones where we were.  We shared several fellowship and ministry opportunities over the year and again as only the Lord could orchestrate it, a situation came up that required our pastor to go home for 6 weeks.  During that time our
congregation was invited to attend his church and they all went.  
               Our pastor and Hugo prayed together often and for quite a while before the idea of rolling the two congregations together became an idea.  It has been such a seamless joining that it can only be attributed to the hand of God.  When entering the church no one would ever know this was a church made up of two congregations because in fact they have become one.  
               The vote to combine the two congregations took place during the time I was Stateside for the mission conference.  Prior to going to the missions conference I had been on loan to another church to do a children’s discipleship program so I had not attended the church with the combined congregations but was kept abreast of the ongoing process.  I was excited for our people because for the first time they didn’t feel so isolated thinking they were the only believers in the area.  The combining of the two congregations has done much to grow them and encourage them.
               While all this was going on I was still wondering what was going to happen to me, who would I work with next?  I was little freaked out at the prospect of starting all over again but also knew and trusted that whatever plan the Lord had for me would be the right plan.  It truly is amazing how the Lord works everything out and without a doubt with HIS time table in mind...not mine.   There are many things that have been working to get me to where I am tonight as I write this, I’m finishing up my Masters finally in May, I’m continuing my Instructor Certification through CEF, and most of all I have a growing passion and desire to dedicate myself to training others to teach and reach others with the gospel effectively.  For quite some time now I have seen the need for effective training programs for churches to develop their teaching staff.
              Because I was involved in a church plant, I had quite a few responsibilities that prohibited me from being gone for any length of time to train teachers in other churches, yet in 2010 alone I had the privilege of training 80+ teachers. Only in eternity will we know the full impact of those 80 teachers.  
             God is SO good.  While at the time I did not see what He was doing and was a little nervous about the future, he had things under control.  Doesn’t he always?
             So let me share what I get to do now for this next phase of ministry, I still get to be involved in a church plant but with the flexibility of being away to do teacher training in and around Mexico City and wherever the Lord leads.  In our church plant for the most part it was the missionaries that were still carrying the load of teaching.  With this church plant where I will be working (where I just completed the 8 week teacher training) there are now 11 trained teachers.  They now have someone in place as the Director of Children’s Ministries and a full program developed for the next year (I was working to get everything in place because I thought I would be somewhere else).  The great need right now for the church is with the women of the church, in their discipleship (which is something I love to do as well), which can be done during the week. I have requests from several churches in the area to come and train their teachers...I can’t wait to get started.               
            I’d ask that you pray as I make the adjustment from working with my previous team (whom I will miss so very much) to working under the leadership of a national pastor.  Working under a national pastor does not mean I’ll be on my own here. Jorge and Aimee Rodriguez fellow BIMI missionaries live within walking distance of my apt so I’ll still have the support and care of my fellow missionaries. I’m looking forward to what the Lord has in store for the ministry here.  I get to continue with the kids I’ve ministered to over the last few years. 
            Pray as the Lord provides opportunities to train teachers throughout the City and even Mexico.  In February 2011 I head back to Tlalpa, Guererro for additional training with the group of 65 teachers we trained in Jan 2010.  I’m joining with a group of CEF instructors (part of my certification) to do a more intensive training, you can pray for safety during this trip.  Pray also as I juggle the last two classes for my Masters and the Capstone Project I must complete for graduation.  Another matter of prayer, I’m in the process of translating a brochure I designed about the teacher training program, it will be available for missionaries and national pastors alike.  I’m also in the process of converting my training program (something separate from CEF) into a full Power Point presentation to insure a professionalpresentation.

There are several needs as a result of this new phase of ministry:
*Printing costs for 1000 full-color brochures in both languages
*A Projector for the training presentation
*Large format printer (13 x 19)—the one I’ve used for the past 6 years no longer has drivers to support the
current operating system of my laptop.  The large format printer has been invaluable as it has allowed me to
create and provide visuals for churches, as well as provide them visualized songs.
              I was still wondering even up to just a week ago what the Lord was going to do with me next and wow when he plans, he plans good.  I’m so very excited about what is in store for the cause of Christ here in Mexico City.
              I pray you have a blessed Christmas Season and a New Year that will challenge you to love him more.  It has been a privilege to have served on your behalf this past year.  Thank you for your faithful sacrifice.

Because He Lives, 
Cynthia Castillo

No comments: