Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Discipleship for Children

July-August 2010

                  The last few months have been equally busy as every other month.  My home church sent me to a retreat for missionaries in July, the retreat took place in Colorado Springs and wow was  it ever so refreshing.  It was a blessing to be in the company of so many other missionaries and hear their stories of ministry in their respective fields.  I arrived back home refreshed, which was a good thing because there were 7 girls in my apt when I got home.  My down stairs neighbors and fellow missionaries the Metzes hosted 3 different groups and I usually keeps the girls of the group.  I was here for one  group and gone for the second and came in the middle of the 3rd.  My house was wall -to-wall air mattresses.  Thankfully there was enough room for everyone, although an extra bathroom might have been nice, they were a great group so they worked really well together the whole week. 
                After returning from the retreat I jumped right back into the swing of things.  Prior to leaving for the retreat another missionary couple (Mark & Donna Whiffen) had asked me about the possibility of spending some time with their ministry to help them disciple their children who are saved and just help with some ideas for their children’s ministry.  I spent two weeks visiting with the Whiffen’s ministry to get to know the kids before beginning the discipleship program. 
               The first day of the program was a pretty amazing day.  The class started out with a couple of the kids looking like they weren’t sure if they were going to like the program.  As the class progressed it was so cool watching the transformation as it took place.  Their attention was piqued when we began to discuss security of the believer and briefly baptism, suddenly everyone was sitting up listening intently with hands raised to get their questions answered.  The tide had turned and I had the kids attention.
               The parents had been told about the discipleship program and the devotions that came with it, so not only were the kids engaged, so were the parents.  On Monday Donna called the different kids to remind them about their devotions, what she found out from the parents was that the kids were eagerly doing their devotions.  The following Sunday they all had their devotional book done for the week AND they had ALL learned their memory verse.  
              This past week one of the parents mentioned to Donna that she had seen a difference in her sons’  interest in the things of the Lord, so much so that now they were concerned and witnessing to their dad who is an unbeliever.  Isn’t it amazing what a difference having security of salvation can make in a believer’s life?  Pray as we continue our discipleship.  I’m in the process of helping this church work on a plan for their children’s ministry.
              I did want to update you on some of the results of the teacher training I did back in June.  I met with Ruth last week and she shared that her teacher is SO excited about teaching as she now sees how God’s plan for salvation is intertwined throughout the Bible not just in the Gospels.  She’s been so excited and as a result has shared that wonder with her husband, he recently told the Pastor that he’d like to be come more involved as well.  Yay!!!  I’ve also been invited to two more churches to do the teacher training, as well as  a follow-up training at the Hornbrooks' church. 
             The Lord is opening more and more doors for me to realize my passion of Teaching Them to Reach Them.  I can’t wait to share with you some other upcoming opportunities.  In the meantime please pray that I will be sensitive to the Lord’s leading and not get ahead of Him.  I truly love what I do and could not imagine doing anything else.  Thank you for partnering with me to see the Gospel spread to the littlest of Mexico City.

Cynthia Castillo

No comments: